PHONOGRAPHIC PERFORMANCE LIMITED IS FOUNDED
PPL was formed in May 1934 by the record companies EMI and Decca Records, following a ground-breaking court case against a coffee shop in Bristol.
The coffee shop, Stephen Carwardine & Co, had been keeping its customers entertained by playing records. EMI, then called The Gramophone Company, argued it was against the law to play the record in public without first receiving the permission of the copyright owners. The judge agreed, establishing this as an important legal principle.
EMI and Decca formed Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL) to carry out this licensing role and opened the first office in London.